Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Christmas/Holiday Coupons as Gifts


Um, so this post is really late, but I just saw these pictures in my phone when students did the activity.  I don't know about other teachers, but I'm NEVER swamped  in December and have no excuses not to have posted on time.  ;)  Haha!

So basically, I wanted students to create gifts for families and/or friends where they wouldn't leave anyone out.  So I have students make coupon boxes, the gift that keeps on giving!  They can make as many as they want in the time we have and take materials home if they need more to make over break before Christmas.


Here is a site that shows how to make the origami box: origami box instructions -CREASE paper well so final steps of directions don't lead to whining and/or crying!

The lid & the bottom of the box are folded the exact same way.  I used regular 8.5 x 11" paper for the bottom and 9 x 12" construction paper for the lids (I have students fold & cut both papers into squares first before using the directions above).  Since construction is slightly larger, it makes a slightly bigger box, fitting over the bottom perfectly.  Well, let's be honest... not "perfectly" because if you've ever taught kids how to fold paper, there are always a few criers and those who can't fold straight for their lives!  But I also tell them that families like that it's not always perfect, because they made it!



Students then decorate the outside however they want.  I provide yarn, ribbon, bows, die cuts for tags, dollar store gift labels, etc.  Leftover small pieces of wrapping paper are fun also.  I'm not a glitter person, so avoided that decorating option.

Inside is where they cut and roll up their coupons.  I try to have them expand a little bit on their coupon.  Instead of just, "I'll take out the trash," they would write, "I'll take out the trash for an entire week the first time you tell me & with a smile."  Here are a couple other coupons students came up with:

Here is a pdf of the coupon template I made: Coupon Template

Happy Holidays!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment