Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Marcy Cook Math

So I remember when I used to complete these as a kid.  Who says that what we used to do is totally out?  I purchased eight Marcy Cook Tile Packets to use as a center in my classroom (more about revamping my math centers in another post).

When I purchased, they were $15/packet, which isn't too bad, but can add up since I bought eight! However, I think it will be money well spent.

Depending on your students & the packets you purchase, these can be good review, fluency building, or challenging activities.

The "greater, equal, less than" packet that I purchased was purposeful as a starter to get my class thinking while figuring out how to use the materials.  As you can see, it still creates logical thinking and problem solving skills, as students are required to use all 10 tiles to complete the card activity.

What comes in each packet:
  • sheet with suggested ways to use materials
  • 20 card sheets
  • reproducible student tracker sheet
  • answer key
  • directions and example cards
What you'll need to purchase:
  • Quiet Tiles made of vinyl (or make your own 0-9 tiles)
    • They are $1 each, not a dollar for four... I was obviously confused by this description: The strips ($1.00 each) come in four different colors  (I purchased 3 thinking I'd get 12, but alas, made a couple number squares out of construction for now.
student tracker sheet

How I set up the Marcy Cook station:
  • I put each set of number tiles in a resealable baggie (5 total since that's the maximum number I have in a group)
  • I placed the answer key in a plastic sleeve (so students can self-assess) and the direction/sample card on the back (I sadly have no prep volunteers this year, so spending all that time laminating is out for me).
  • I copied the student tracker sheet and placed them in the colored construction paper folders (these are group colors...that way students won't have to dig to find their sheet each time they come to this station). 


As we work through them and students work at different paces, I will have to figure out how to put more than one card pack out at a time.  20 cards to start will suffice for now.

I'm super excited to see how the kids respond to these tile activity cards.  I anticipate it being difficult for my lowest kids, but they will hopefully get better.



3 comments:

  1. I have a huge collection of Marcy Cooktile cards, k-6, I am a retired teacher and cannot dis card this useful resource. Anyone want them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am interested if you have not found a home for them yet! I am a 1st/2nd grade teacher, but will take the whole collection and share with my staff. I'm not sure how to get them from you, but maybe we can figure something out. I am in Pollock Pines, California. :-)

      Delete
    2. I know this is a long shot but...do you still have any of these Marcy Cook Tiles?

      Delete