Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

I Miss My Grading Routine... Darn Pregnancy!

So as I'm sitting here grading the past week's math, reading, and geography tests, I decided that pregnancy has put a damper on making grading more "fun," if that's possible.  Yes, grading is tedious and I do as much as I can once it's turned in.  However, there are always those weeks where the pile gets larger and then I really don't want to look at it... until I have to.

I LOVED taking that giant pile of work and going to a non-busy restaurant by myself (I don't want to be in the way AND I need to get out of my house) with an order of mac and cheese (sometimes I order a salmon caesar salad or side pizza instead) and a glass of wine, or two. Don't judge.  I sit for a few hours to knock all this out and 2 glasses of wine does not sway my grading in any way.  It just makes it feel less like a chore.
A pre-pregnancy grading picture.  Doesn't it look like you should join me?

Oh, and the manila folder with the post its are for me to jot down how kids are doing on each concept in math.  It helps me be more specific when I write report card comments.  I wouldn't necessarily need it for my own class, but that year, 5th and 6th graders leveled their kids, so I had kids from 4 different classes in math.  Those post its saved me and kept me sane. 


Now that I've got this bun in the oven, I feel lost.  I don't know what to do with myself when I have this pile of grading.  I've been sitting at home not getting through the pile as quickly because I have too many distractions (like this post).  I don't want to go to a restaurant for a few hours drinking water!  And I guess a coffee shop was my other option, but I'm not supposed to be drinking lots of caffeine either.  Grrr.

I guess I am not fully at a loss.  I did go back through my pictures and I had some fun grading at home...Yes, all these pictures have wine in them, but I enjoy hanging out with my cuddly pups, even if they distract me a little.  But winter picnicking is another story...

The hardest part of picnic grading with the large 100 lb beast is having to keep him from knocking things over,  stepping all over the students' papers, or throwing a slobbery tennis ball at me when I'm trying to ignore him.

I do love homemade popcorn, so will need to do more with that!

That fabulous grading bag of mine is by Thirty One and I inserted a small file box like this one to hold these files: To Be Graded, File/Return, To Do/Plan, Rewards, etc. 

Oh, one day I did go to a hole in the wall Vietnamese restaurant to order some pho and graded there.  It was nice because they don't really bug you and I got a really good (and inexpensive) meal out of it.  Perhaps that needs to be my new routine.

I am pretty sure I will survive this year without my typical grading routine, BUT I'm looking forward to my lifestyle back.  As much of it as possible anyway, since I am aware of more life changes to come.  :)

Oh, and here are some of my favorite pens to grade with:
Pilot G2 Gel Pens
Stabilo colored pens I bought on Amazon
I found these in my staff work room.  They look like colored pencils but are pens without caps  & don't dry out.  I can't find them anywhere, but it's good I have so many back up brands.  :)

I guess it's true teachers really like fun office supplies!

1 comment: