Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2014

8th First Day of School

Ok, so I survived my 8th first day of school.  Phew!

Friday before first day of school:
Sneak Peek - where students meet the teacher & drop off supplies AND when my projector bulb dies 10 minutes before kids come rushing in with my directions neatly posted.  "It's okay," I tell myself.  I've taught with much less technology.  Make do.  I did.

Weekend before first day of school:
My sister's bachelorette weekend!  Eeeek!  I hop in a cab to get to the airport in time directly after the Sneak Peek. If it were anyone else, I wouldn't have gone, but needed to support my sis.  It was worth it to get my mind off EVERYTHING.  I also learned how to pump in airport bathrooms and airplanes! Alaska Airlines had a plug on the seat in front of you, so... why not?  I used my nursing cover of course! ;)

First Day of School:
First day of school plans change last minute when I am disappointed my projector bulb will not be replaced before the bell and some of my presentations/slides for rules/procedures, etc. are not going to be viewed.  I grab chart paper and do things old school.

Next few days:
Basically, things are amuck as I teach without my Smartboard or document camera (my prized and most useful item) the next few days, but it works.  I become VERY clear about my directions and enlist student help to check each other.  I feel bad wanting this tech stuff knowing some schools don't have the luxury, but it just sucks when you plan to have it and then have to do all the work over again.  (My room is full of chart paper.)

ANYWAY... what did go well?

Kids are great!  Sweet group so far.

31 roster went down to 28 (Yes!  3 kids makes a BIG difference)

I have a makeshift pump station in my room (see picture) so I don't have to go anywhere.  Even though I will lock my door, I used velcro to hang the table cloth for added security, just in case.  I also brought soap, a sponge, and drying mat to wash pump parts and just leave them at school.  That way, all I have to carry back and forth is the milk & ice pack.

I feel like a seasoned enough teacher to get things going with baby on the back of my brain.  It will definitely be busier (I learned this quickly as we ordered in practically all week.), but it will all work out!  Cheers to another school year!



No comments:

Post a Comment