Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Positive Notes Home the FIRST Week

front and back of note

Contacting students' families in a positive way FIRST is so key.  So, I pre print these half sheet notes and leave them on my desk to remind myself to write one for EVERY kid within the first week.  I put it in a sealed envelope with "To Parent/Guardian of _____" and hand it to them to take home without saying anything.  Some get nervous.  I love it!

Since it does take time to write out one for every kid, here's how I try to tackle it:

  1. There are some kids who can do something that requires parent contact in the first few days.  Rare, but ugh.  So it's crucial to send home notes to their families.  I try to target those "labeled" kids first, just in case, but don't let it taint my vision of them.  I have a soft spot in my heart for those kids.  Besides, those parents probably don't get positive feedback about their kids as often as they'd like.  It's a great way to get parents (and student) on your side rather than them becoming defensive when you first talk to them about problems.
  2. Parents who have already come to you with concerns about academics, social issues, etc. are next on my list. In my note to those parents, I try to comment on something they are concerned about in a positive way, such as, "I love how ___ raised her hand during our discussion about ___ this week.  I sure hope to see this continue throughout the year..."
  3. I make mental notes of specific things I see in each kid and usually put that in my note.  It's nice that it isn't so generic.

Anyway, it's a lot of work the first week, but totally worth it!  Make a kid smile today!



No comments:

Post a Comment