Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Back to School Night

Back to School Night...when teachers present to the parents/families what their child's school year will be like.  It is an important night because it's a great time to build rapport and get family support from the get go.

I remember always thinking, "Ugh, it's so soon in the year.  I barely know their kids.  Why can't it be a few weeks in???"  But now that I've thought about it, it's okay that it's early.  I prefer it so that I get all my information out to them as soon as possible.  There are definitely years where I had to wing it when I told them about curriculum since it wasn't all figured out yet, but it's also okay if you change things.

So what's on students' desks???

  • Name tag (I encourage parents to check out their child's desk for neatness and see what we've been working on so far)
  • Apple for parent (see below for information about the poem and where I got the idea)
  • Packet of information about classroom/curriculum & tips on how they can help their child this year (packet is underneath so you can't see it)
  • Letter to parent from student welcoming them and telling them what they are excited about and what they've already learned so far.
  • Tent card for parent to write a positive note to their child while they mingle and wait. 
  • Pen/pencil so parent can write the note. 



The apple idea I got from this site and it is a poem that says, "An apple for the teacher is really nothing new, except when you remember, parents are teachers, too."  I also made a couple leaves that say "Grandparents" or "Aunt/Uncle" for kiddos with different family situations.

What do I present???
While waiting for people to file in between presentations, I like to introduce myself personally and then encourage parents to check out the classroom and student work already displayed.  I also remind them to write the positive note to their child on the tent card provided if they have not already done so.

I basically have my PowerPoint slideshow up that guides me through what I talk about with some pictures.  Here's the order I have things in:
  • Teacher introduction (where from, family, education, my goals as a teacher
  • Class rules, rewards/consequences, & economic system (This part is HUGE!  You can read more about it from this post.)
  • Ways to communicate with me (I purposefully put this slide in because I don't check the school phone ever, and need to make it known.)
  • My class website to access information about our class throughout the year; what it features
  • HW expectations and how to utilize the student binders
  • Brief overview of curriculum in reading, writing, math, social studies, and science
  • Schedule/Specials (library, PE, music, etc.)
  • How to access student grades & first conferences
  • Miscellaneous topics (birthdays & half birthdays, volunteering, donation needs, any school wide expectations)
  • Student needs: organization, designated place to do work/study, healthy habits
  • End with a poem (I don't usually end with a question and answer session since there's not enough time.  I simply tell them to email me or talk to me later if they have any questions.)

Other touches...
  • I have extra chairs & handouts in the back
  • Some years, I have an estimation jar for family members who come.  They can guess how many M&Ms are in the jar and whoever is closest, their child gets the candy... I don't always do this though.  I have no reason why.
  • Donations area where I printed items I would like/need directly onto post-its.  That way, parents can simply grab what they can donate and hopefully not forget! (picture below)
  • Volunteer sign up utilizing my class website at the computer station.  I use Google Docs, so anyone can access the live document and sign up, see who's already signed up, and I don't get too many people signing up for the same job  (picture below)



3 Things
Basically, I feel it's important that during Back to School Night, teachers convey three things:
  1. They are competent about the curriculum.
  2. They are enthusiastic about their job.
  3. They care for their students' development academically, emotionally, and socially. 

No comments:

Post a Comment