Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Classroom Website

I started a classroom website the year I knew I would be teaching a 4th/5th grade combination class.  How would I communicate assignments that were different? What about the different events? I color coded on the website (red for 4th, blue for 5th, and black for common assignments). This was the main reason why I started a website and have found so many other valuable uses!

I use teacherweb.com and have loved it ever since.  Not only does it keep my students and parents informed, it keeps me organized and I have found communication is much easier!



Some pages I use/find most helpful are:
  • Homework: HW page allows me to provide long term pacing suggestions in addition to daily assignments. You can read more about my HW pacing guide/suggestions I put on the website on this post. 
  • Learning Links: This is where I find educational games students can play at home or when we are in the lab.
  • Blog: Students enjoy when I post questions or topics to discuss.  They enjoy reading other students' posts as well.
  • Documents: I am able to upload documents from my class and/or newsletters.  I always tell students I don't make extra copies.  You lose it?  You print it.  
  • Volunteer page: see pictures below 
    I use Google Docs so parents can access what I need and just sign up.  That way, I never get too many volunteers or all on the same day.  A sample of what they would see if they clicked the "Prep Parents & Party Planners" link is below:












Other than the class website, I also write weekly newsletters.  I post these on the website and also email out to families.  I only print hardcopies for families who do not have access.  Plus, I have been told by many parents that this has been very helpful when it comes to knowing what's going on in the classroom.



No comments:

Post a Comment