Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Student Binders

Our school mascot is the bengal tiger, so I wanted to make a notebook with that theme.  By 5th grade, I don't want a whole bunch of loose folders.  Students need to learn how to organize and keep things in one place.  So... B.E.N.G.A.L.S. stands for Bengal Education Needs Greatly Arranged Learning System.  Dorky?  Why, yes!

I tell students their binder is now a part of their body.  They go somewhere, their binder follows. So here's what it includes:

This is the cover of the view binder.  When they first open it up they should have a pencil pouch with the basic essentials (2 pencils, eraser, pen, etc.).



The very first thing in the binder is a sheet protector with my introductory note about the binder, what it should include, my class website/contact information, and more. The back contains some study tips I put together.
Then they should have some loose leaf notebook paper.  I want students to get used to getting their own paper out rather than always having to wait to pass it out.  If students have to go to my supply area for paper, then that is their cue to grab a small stack to refill their binder.  The five divider tabs are behind the paper.

The back folder is for homework or any loose papers that may not fit into a category we have under the divider tabs.  It can contain HW or permission slips, etc.

The very back is the student planner that we write in everyday.  I also encourage students to fill in their extracurricular activities and family events to the planner.  I show them how I do this in my own lesson plan book so they can see how I work around other events in my life.  

Every once in a while, we go to the monthly calendar to fill in dates/events.  This year, I decided to add the monthly calendar as a part of my room so we can add important information readily visible at all times.  I feel it helps students see the countdown for major, long-term assignments. 


No comments:

Post a Comment